Saturday, March 10, 2007

Greg and Marla Ride Alone






Kathy gave us another great day. She came home early from work on Friday and let Greg and I go riding while she and Rick stayed with the kids. Thursday Greg took Otto back to the trails he had ridden on Monday in Fairfield and Friday he took me. We know it will be rare for the two of us to ride together on this trip, one of us will need to be with the kids, so it was a special treat. The day had not started out well. During the night Rick and Kathy's cars were broken into and Greg's new cell phone, which he had unintentionally left in their car was stolen. We had just bought 1000 minutes, too. T-Mobile told us that we could transfer those minutes onto a new phone, which is a great relief and we will get one soon. Thankfully we bought the least expensive phones available.

I think it was after 11:00 before we finally got on the road, but it was a cooler and overcast day so we had no concerns of it getting too warm. The Rockville Hills trails are only about 70 miles away, and freeway miles, which go quickly. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot and we saw a few people riding, but usually going a different direction or from a distance. The landscape was so completely different from the trails I have ridden in Oregon and Washington. No close trees, green grassy meadows. It was dry, but moist in some areas, perfect. Large rocks firmly embedded in the path creating obstacles I had seen before in pictures, but never tried to ride on myself. Some I rode, some I walked. Having not been on singletrack trails for...8 months I knew it was important not to have any big crashes. I was on my new Haro, first trail ride with a full suspension bike and it was a good thing because my manauvering abilities were extremely rusty. I often saw a line to ride, but didn't make it that way, so I plowed through wherever. And, my legs were stronger than my lungs, but not by much. I hope to ride often enough on this trip to improve my endurance. I'm sure I will. Greg wants me to improve, as much as I do so that I can enjoy the long trails as he does.

No comments: